Digital Library Images in Chrome Browser

General bug reports for the Archon software.

Moderators: paulnsorensen, kylefox2, prom, rishel

Digital Library Images in Chrome Browser

Postby gjerdery » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:20 am

Hi - not being a programmer, I'm unsure whether this is a bug in Google Chrome or in Archon, but thought I should report it. In the Chrome browser, images that are part of our digital content area have been displaying a weird behavior in Chrome. When a page is opened the associated image loads, but then disappears and is replaced by a broken image icon after a fraction of a second. (e.g. http://lis-test.luther.edu/archontest/? ... ntent&id=2)

Archon is not the only software to display this issue, and others have isolated it to Chrome not being happy when the "Content-Length" header of a file doesn't match the content length of the file that actually arrives.

To "fix" this, I commented out line 49 of packages/digitallibrary/pub/getfile.php ( header("Content-Length: {$objFile->Size}"); ), but this seems like a dirty hack rather than an elegant solution.

One website further identifies the problem as the fact that servers set the content length of an object without taking into account any compression the server may apply before sending the file. This causes Chrome to hiccup.
http://code.stephenmorley.org/php/googl ... -page-bug/

Some suggest that Chrome is too rigorous in following standards, since FF, IE and Safari apparently ignore this discrepancy.
Last edited by gjerdery on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
gjerdery

Re: Digital Library Images in Chrome Browser

Postby pgianuzzi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:06 pm

I have a similar issue but the content length didn't fix it.

The response for all my images is The image "url" cannot be displayed because it contains errors. (Firefox)
pgianuzzi

Re: Digital Library Images in Chrome Browser

Postby paulnsorensen » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:40 am

pgianuzzi wrote:I have a similar issue but the content length didn't fix it.

The response for all my images is The image "url" cannot be displayed because it contains errors. (Firefox)

Can you post a link to that error?

And I'll add this to the list of things to resolve for the next revision.
paulnsorensen
Site Admin

Return to Archon Bugs