Entire location list not updating in collection

General bug reports for the Archon software.

Moderators: paulnsorensen, kylefox2, prom, rishel

Entire location list not updating in collection

Postby farlerac » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:04 am

I apologize in advance. I'm not an archivist, I'm a sysadmin, so I'm probably going to have a hard time describing the problem I'm seeing.

We have a collection that has a large number of locations (boxes), around 240. In the list of locations, when I try to edit the existing entries to add details, the changes I make aren't saved to the database. This is true for, say, the bottom half or so of the locations. The top locations I can edit freely. This includes deleting locations. It seems to me there is some limit as to how much is being prepared/executed via mdb2, but I can't figure out where the limiting is. Help?

Thanks in advance!
farlerac

Re: Entire location list not updating in collection

Postby beltramie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi

Couple of questions for you.

Are you working within the Archon Administration interface, command line, some database manager like phpmyadmin?

So you are adding 1 location entry for each box or making 1 entry for many boxes?
beltramie

Postby farlerac » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:26 pm

I am using the Archon Admin interface via a browser. I *can* update the location data by hand via command-line MySQL statements. I am using Apache 2.2.16, PHP 5.4.3, and MySQL Server 5.5.24, but I have run into this problem on another installation with PHP 5.3.3 and MySQL Server 5.1.49. I'm using a version of Archon downloaded from the git repo with a date of May 18th, although this too has been a problem for me in various versions.

As to the boxes, I'm adding one location per box.

I'm working on a duplicate data set from our production instance, so if needed I can give admin access to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks for your help!
farlerac

Postby beltramie » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi

I have never done as many location entries for a single record. I usually make one location entry for each set of boxes. So I cant tell if the problem has to do with the number of entries it is trying to save for one record or not.

Here is a screenshot of some locations I added to our test site for an example of how I do it:

http://people.carleton.edu/~nwilson/Picture1

How essential is it that each box have its own location entry?

Couple tests you might want to try:

Can you delete a location entry from a collection you are having trouble with, and re-add it? This would make me think the record is running into some kind of limit on location entries.

Can you add locations to any other collections?

Can you add locations to an accession record? Those are stored in a separate database table from the collections, so this might tell us if the problem is with all locations, or just the collections locations table.
beltramie

Return to Archon Bugs