folder lists and bio/scope content not shown when browsing

General bug reports for the Archon software.

Moderators: paulnsorensen, kylefox2, prom, rishel

folder lists and bio/scope content not shown when browsing

Postby arinekhen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:12 am

Hi. I'm very new to Archon, having inherited a 3.12 instance (which I am trying to upgrade, will have to create another post for that).
I'm a server admin, not a librarian, Jim. :D

The request from one of our Special Collections staff is as follows:

"I’m having a problem with entering data into Archon and I’m wondering if you have any insight. I have a student working on the Hiram Henry Lesar collection, which is one box (http://archives.lib.siu.edu/?p=collecti ... card&id=31). If you find the collection by browsing you will notice that Archon shows no information as far as folder lists and bio/scope content. To locate the collection by browsing, click collection type, university archives, RG 2 Chancellor of the Carbondale Campus, and then select RG 2 10 Hiram Henry Lesar.

But the student’s data entry does not show up when browsing. But if you search a folder title from the collection such as “college of education goals and mission” you will see that it appears in the search results. Then after clicking on results found in the box list you can see all of the data the student has entered. I do not know what the problem is, and everything is enabled for web output. Is this a database issue? Should be delete the entire record and start over?"

When I googled this set of issues I came across the concepts of "Enable Web Output" control, which I found easily, and an "audience" attribute. Due to my being completely unfamiliar with the Archon application, I cannot tell whether this is an internal XML attribute, a descriptor within the database schema, or some sort of control which can be made available or hidden by the administrator.

I also came across a discussion viewtopic.php?f=5&t=863 where it seemed something similiar might happen if the EAD template was being used, but in this case the collection in question is set to the "(Select One)" template set, so I don't think this is the problem.

By any chance, is this is the sort of thing which might be fixed by completing the upgrade to 3.21-r1? If so, I'll focus on the upgrade.

I don't have any idea how to help my client. Can someone get me started on how to diagnose the problem?

Thanks very much, and please let me know if additional information about our instance will help.
arinekhen

Re: folder lists and bio/scope content not shown when browsi

Postby arinekhen » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:13 pm

My client in our special collections department figured this one out. He says, "When entering data into the collection contents manager to create a box and folder list, you must have a scope and content note written for the container list to appear in the public interface. If you do not have a scope and content, the data is still in the Archon database and searchable but not browseable until the scope and content is added."

Cheers!
arinekhen

Return to Archon Bugs