Sort Problem- renumbered items and did not resort

General bug reports for the Archon software.

Moderators: paulnsorensen, kylefox2, prom, rishel

Sort Problem- renumbered items and did not resort

Postby sandl » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:44 pm

I renumbered items in the collection so I could insert a new #3. The renumber worked correctly (even though I got an error message), so there was no number three. Then I went to item 65 to change it to Item #3 and it worked (even though I got an error message).
However, when I look at the items, #3 remains in the place of the original number (65) and not in #3, which is what I was trying to accomplish - putting the items in the order I want.
The old system did this just fine. Please tell me you can put a sort back in so we can continue to process our collections this way. Thanks
sandl

Re: Sort Problem- renumbered items and did not resort

Postby paulnsorensen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Can you you post what the error message was?

Did you just change the sort order, or did you use the "renumber" function? The problem we've encountered lies within the need for alphanumeric container numbers and the inability to do a natural sort in the database, hence the creation of the sort order field.
paulnsorensen
Site Admin

Postby sandl » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Ok, I discovered the sort order and that helps a lot - just didn't notice the new field there before.
Now for the error msg.
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<archonresponse error="false">
<message>Collection Content Database Updated Successfully.</message>
<id>34825</id>
<suppressredirect>false</suppressredirect>
</archonresponse>

Successful, but also get this stuff.
And I have to hit back, which then takes forever! A ful 30 to 45 seconds or longer to get any kind of reply or response from a Save. Any way to make things go faster?
sandl

Postby paulnsorensen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:34 pm

What browser are you using? You're saying that it takes 30-45 seconds to retrieve a response from when you click save? This might be related to the amount of content you're renumbering -- or does this happen all the time with any record?
paulnsorensen
Site Admin

Postby sandl » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:57 pm

We use Firefox 5.
The renumbering actually was relative fast.
The timing problem is for EVERYTHING! Every time we hit enter, save, back, whatever, it takes a long time. Doesn't matter if we are in edit or view mode - it takes a very long time. What can we do to make it go faster?

Also found another problem maybe you can look at.
We have 65 items in Series 4. We wanted to add item 66. When we click ADD in the window showing the first 65 items, it brings back a blank entry screen.
The old system would default item 66 for us and we would type in the data, hit enter, and be happy. It would even copy the data from the previous record we looked at - a very helpful little feature I might add.
Now we are in and empty screen and it is scary. I'm not at all sure if item 66 will be at the same level as item 65.

At first we clicked on NEW and we went to no person's land, so realized we were doing something wrong there. Tried again and found the Add button within the items window. I guess it would be nice to have a manual...
sandl

Postby sandl » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 am

Do we have an answer for our XML error?
We think it is the key to our slowness in all responses.
If we don't/can't fix it, then our solution will be to return to the previous version. We know it works and how it works.
Thanks
UIS Archives
sandl

Return to Archon Bugs