I am not sure if I am wrong ( as I am still a beginner) but it seems to me that Archon 3 misses some functions which are critical for our institute (basically we want to catalogue our huge physical archive collection). Here is a list of things we miss:
- Relations to other objects at least inside the book section (like it's done for creators and collections):
- - i.e. there seems to be no way to build a link from one book to another
- - Also we have books with "inserts" (small additional "paperwork") which were put into the original book, lets say 100 years later. If there would be relations possible I could use them to define this relationship. An alternative could be to have an "insert" section for a single book. The level of detail description fields for the insert should match the description level of the "mother" book (this can get a bit iterative, I know, but well, in practice there shouldn't be more than 5 inserts per book)
- Custom fields
- - It seems there is no way (beside fiddling around in the MySQL DB and the PHP Code
) to add custom fields to a book description
- - For example we would like to be able to put physical dimensions to a book description (height, width, length; others may wish to add a weight record). Also original ID numbers not used anymore is something I'd like to record.
As I mentioned before, I am new to Archon and right now I am trying to evaluate if it would be useful for our institute. I may be wrong and those functions are already build in. If so, please just tell me
Ahh, and I forgot to mention that I miss a report generator function!
Wolfram Zieger, Florence, Italy