Auto-number sequential new item after adding a container

A place to post suggestions for future versions of Archon and new Archon packages.

Moderators: paulnsorensen, kylefox2, prom, rishel

Auto-number sequential new item after adding a container

Postby lbroaddu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:12 pm

After adding a box or folder in the early versions of Archon's container manager, I always liked the fact that without looking up from your paper source inventory or shelf label you could just add one after another of the same container type and the new container number would just continue incrementing every time you added one. For example, if you typed a title for box 3 and pushed enter, a new box 4 popped up ready for a title and you were set to type.

In Archon 3.12, I don't like having to move my hand away from the keyboard to the mouse after each container I add now to click "save" and then having to further click "add" to start the next one. It isn't fun when you are adding a list of several hundred folder titles. Could we get that old feature back in some form?
lbroaddu

Re: Auto-number sequential new item after adding a container

Postby Byrcehary » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 pm

I second this suggestion. Archon 3's interface seems so much bulkier than 2's. Along these same lines I liked how Title, Date, and Description were at the top and all next to each other in Archon 2 thus making the majority of the boxes I use only a tab away. The Internal Title, Sort Order, and Enable Web Output options should really be placed below Description.
Byrcehary

Postby david.b.malone » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Byrcehary wrote:I second this suggestion. Archon 3's interface seems so much bulkier than 2's. Along these same lines I liked how Title, Date, and Description were at the top and all next to each other in Archon 2 thus making the majority of the boxes I use only a tab away. The Internal Title, Sort Order, and Enable Web Output options should really be placed below Description.

I may be missing something here, but for data entry for more than two or three entries, I wonder why one wouldn't simply do an import. The amount of typing is the same to enter into Archon or Excel and the mouse-clicking is much less. Any subject or creator "association" work is the same either way. Importing is much easier for us, especially as we don't have to train students in the intricacies of the admin interface until we feel they can handle it.

David Malone
Wheaton College (IL)
David B. Malone
Wheaton College Archives & Special Collections
david.b.malone

Postby lbroaddu » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:50 pm

[quote="david.b.malone"]
I may be missing something here, but for data entry for more than two or three entries, I wonder why one wouldn't simply do an import. The amount of typing is the same to enter into Archon or Excel and the mouse-clicking is much less. Any subject or creator "association" work is the same either way. Importing is much easier for us, especially as we don't have to train students in the intricacies of the admin interface until we feel they can handle it.[/quote]

You're not missing something, David.
Importing from Excel is a great workaround for straight folder lists, and boy have we used it (and loved it) ever since we got it working. But it is a workaround. It doesn't change the fact that direct data entry is prohibitively inefficient in this version and it is possible that it might not have to be, since it wasn't before. I.e. maybe this is a usability-kink they could eventually work out in the new Archon/Archivists' Toolkit combo. Hence the suggestion and (presumably) the seconds on the suggestion. :D

Leah
lbroaddu

Postby david.b.malone » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:52 pm

lbroaddu wrote:...It doesn't change the fact that direct data entry is prohibitively inefficient in this version and it is possible that it might not have to be, since it wasn't before. I.e. maybe this is a usability-kink they could eventually work out in the new Archon/Archivists' Toolkit combo. Hence the suggestion and (presumably) the seconds on the suggestion. :D
Leah

Hey, I'm all for easy workflows and effect usability, especially in the New-World-Order, er, ArchivesSpace.

david
David B. Malone
Wheaton College Archives & Special Collections
david.b.malone

Return to Suggestions