Web server of choice

For issues with installing and configuring the Archon software to begin running on your webserver.

Moderators: paulnsorensen, kylefox2, prom, rishel

Web server of choice

Postby jdou » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:34 am

We're considering Archon 3.21 as our Archival software and I have a basic question. As stated in your 3.21 Installment Document
"It is possible to install Archon to a local machine that serves as both the web server and the database server. For example, it can be installed under XAMPP for testing purposes." So when I looked into XAMPP I find that they offer as a latest version "We've released the new version of XAMPP 1.7.7, including:
•Apache 2.2.21
•MySQL 5.5.16
•PHP 5.3.8
•phpMyAdmin 3.4.5
•FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.39
•Tomcat 7.0.21 (with mod_proxy_ajp as connector)"

XAMPP does not see itself as being for "testing puposes" only as you mention in your Installation Document.

Can the Apache 2.2.21 in an XAMPP 1.7.7 installation as listed above, on a Windows 2008 SQL (DataCenter), serve as the Production Web Server, or is there some reason it should be used for testing purposes only?
jdou

Re: Web server of choice

Postby paulnsorensen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:35 am

I hope this isn't too late, but I would opt for MySQL, as it is more likely to be supported by the upcoming ArchivesSpace product. I would also just install Apache and PHP normally. My understanding is that XAMPP needs to run as a user, whereas normal apache is run as a service. This may have changed since I last read up on it, though.
paulnsorensen
Site Admin

Return to Installation/Configuration Issues