Installing Archon on Amazon EC2

For issues with installing and configuring the Archon software to begin running on your webserver.

Moderators: paulnsorensen, kylefox2, prom, rishel

Installing Archon on Amazon EC2

Postby nwc_librarian » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:25 pm

I just wanted to share my experience setting up Archon on an Amazon EC2 (Windows 2008 32 bit) instance. Here is the short version:

-Open an Amazon account (it's almost free for a year for those who sign up now) or sign up your existing Amazon account for Amazon Web Management.

-Either build a WAMP Stack or load a BitNami WAMPStack from here: http://bitnami.org/stack/wampstack. I did both and, as a relative novice, ran into troubles configuring MySQL with PHPMYADMIN and PHP. The BitNami instance is not quite the environment I was shooting for (specifically PHP 5.2.9-2 and the latest version of MySQL) but you can work around it. You can either update the PHP or just update the PEAR installation and MDB2 along with it. I did the latter. PEAR go-pear.phar is included and that's where I started the update. I had to manually download MDB2 from pear.php.net to the PEAR directory and execute it in command line from there with the accompanying install command followed by the mysql driver update (http://archon.org/mdb2.html). This will be handy when I update to the latest Archon version.

-Change your security group (left hand nav bar in AWS EC2 dashboard) to allow port 80 (TCP) if not already enabled.

-Download and extract Archon to apache2's htdocs folder. Proceed as usual with arobers' instructions here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=631. Note: as I was new to this, I thought that for the IP address in the config.inc.php file that I was supposed to put the Amazon EC2 public IP address. Just enter in 'localhost' and all the other info arobers lists. It is probably a good idea to change the MySQL password before doing all this but be aware that you'll then also have to modify the phpmyadmin config file's password accordingly (in BitNami virtual build it's at Program Files > apps > php > conf ).

-Install Archon as normal and remember to delete the install file as it tells you to.

-Assign an elastic IP address in AWS and associate it with your instance.

-Open a browser outside of the server and enter the elastic IP address followed by "/archon" (or, alternatively, IP address followed by "/Archon").

___

Note that Amazon should automatically associate your instance with EBS (block storage) for the size of your server build. I figure that this whole setup will cost about $300/year after my first year.

I would advise using the BitNami instance if you've never built a server before. I spent a good 30 hours of my time building the server and it still wasn't configured right. I imagine that I could do it again, get it working, and in a lot less time if I had to. But the BitNami instance works fine. When I upgrade to Archon 3.21, I'll post here how that goes. There may be problems with the version of PHP as the BitNami build is running a slightly older version of PHP 5.2 than WAMP's virtual server, which can easily be set to 5.2.9-2.

Best of luck!
nwc_librarian

Re: Installing Archon on Amazon EC2

Postby paulnsorensen » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, but why did you choose WAMP instead of LAMP?
paulnsorensen
Site Admin

Return to Installation/Configuration Issues