Default object from empty value

For issues with installing and configuring the Archon software to begin running on your webserver.

Moderators: paulnsorensen, kylefox2, prom, rishel

Default object from empty value

Postby Morgon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi, everyone, and happy Friday!

I am just finishing a recovery of my Archon installation (being optimistic here), but I have run into a snag that I hope someone can generously shed some light on for me.

At one point, I had Archon 3.21 rev-1 up and running in a XAMPP environment, and I created many records within it over a few months of work. Then my OS became corrupted, and I had to get things back up and running again from scratch. Since then I have re-installed XAMPP, upgraded MDB2, and copied over the old Archon files and mySQL database files, which my IT person was able to dig out for me. I have also double-checked the settings in config.inc.php, and they are correct, plus I have taken a look at the tables in the MySQL database, and they seem to be in good shape.

However, when I access the Archon install via my browser at 127.0.0.1/archon, I get a very large list of errors, beginning with "Warning: Creating default object from empty value in C:\xampp\htdocs\Archon\packages\core\lib\index.php on line 17" and then a few dozen instances of "Warning: Creating default object from empty value in C:\xampp\htdocs\Archon\packages\core\lib\index.php on line 61", and also including many other warnings and "strict standards" messages, mostly referring either to the filepath above or to archonobject.inc.php in the same location.

Most strangely, if I scroll down far enough, then behind the error messages is the actual Archon interface (literally overlapping with the error text), which I can actually browse by clicking on the links. In subsequent pages, some information is retrieved successfully (e.g. "Scope and Contents"), but most of the information is replaced by error messages (e.g. instead of the collection title, I get "Title: Warning: Creating default object from empty value in C:\xampp\htdocs\Archon\packages\core\lib\archonobject.inc.php on line 198").

Does anyone know whether this is a problem with the Archon installation, with the MySQL database files, or with something else? It is clear that the data is still there, but Archon doesn't seem to be able to access it properly.

A million thanks in advance--your help will definitely be added to my Thanksgiving prayers! (Here in Canada, Thanksgiving is this weekend.)

-Morgon
Morgon

Re: Default object from empty value

Postby beltramie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi Morgan,

Since you kept the old Archon files, I first thought is that it is an error in the php files, and specifically in the header.inc.php in your theme. Did you make a custom theme? Some change there might need debugging.

If you made any custom themes or templates, first change those back to the default settings in Archon Configuration. If your problem goes away, than its probably an issue in your custom theme or template. The theme could either be debugged or you could make a new custom theme.

If you didnt make any custom themes or templates, that you should check to see if the corruption you mentioned effected your core Archon php files. One way to try this is to create a parallel clean install of Archon with the latest version on your XAMPP server. Edit the 2nd instance's config.inc.php to point at the same MySQL database as your 1st instance, and check the site. If the problem is present in instance 1, but not in instance 2, than I would assume your original Archon instance needs debugging or replacement.

Finally, if both your original and 2nd clean install cant read the database, than the problem could be with the MySQL database.

Hope this helps you narrow down the possible causes.

Nat
beltramie

Postby Morgon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi, Nat:

Thanks very much for the suggestions! I didn't change the theme or template, but I will check the header PHP file anyway--maybe there is something there. I did try to reinstall Archon altogether, as you suggest, but received a warning that I would lose any saved data (which I thought was only stored in the MySQL database, but with a warning screen right in front of me, I didn't want to risk it!) Maybe I will copy all files to another drive, then try the re-installation, and restore the old installation if necessary.

Something to try, at any rate. Thanks again!

-Morgon
Morgon

Postby Morgon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Well, I fixed the problem. Instead of trying to use the old SQL database, I exported it to a .sql file using PHPMyAdmin, then created a new, blank database, reinstalled Archon, and imported the .sql file into the new database (again using PHPMyAdmin). It was so simple, once it occurred to me, though TBH, I'm not sure exactly why it did the trick. It does make a bit of sense to my fuzzy-logic brain, that a new install should have a new DB, I guess. Anyway, thanks again for your help, Nat!

Hopefully this narrative will help a similarly befuddled user down the road.

-Morgon
Morgon

Postby beltramie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi Morgan.

So you make a copy of your database, and pointed your Archon instance at it? That makes me think there was something corrupted in your original tables in MySQL. Glad to hear your problem is fixed.
beltramie

Return to Installation/Configuration Issues